Friday 16 September 2011

Chicken risotto

After Sunday I had some leftover chicken. And roast veg. I hate throwing out leftovers, so had a quick flip through my recipe books and mags for inspiration. In the latest issue of EasyFood they had a chicken risotto recipe. Hmmm... But I was missing most of the ingredients, so I just used their trick of putting the chicken (and the veg in my case) in the oven for a while tossed with lemon juice and zest. It really gives a unique flavour to the risotto! Yummy!

Ingredients (feeds 4):
leftover chicken meat, shredded; leftover roast veggies chopped
1 lemon, juice and zest
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup rice (I used easy cook, as that's what I had at home)
2 cups chicken stock from 2 cubes
1 cup frozen veg
freshly ground black pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 200 C. Place the chicken and roast veg in an ovenproof dish and toss with the lemon juice and zest. Put in the oven for about 30 mins.
 Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Sautee the onion and the garlic until soft.
 Add the rice and stir, so the grains are coated. Stir fry for a few seconds.
 Add the stock gradually and simmer over a low heat.
 With the second cup of stock add the frozen veg. Simmer over a low heat until everything is cooked.
 Take the chicken from the oven. Add to the risotto and stir.
Serve and enjoy! Nice with a glass of white wine ;)

No comments: