Sunday 10 March 2013

Fried dough - lángos

When I was a kid and we went to the market with my Grandma I could always smell the fried dough (or langos as it was called) all through the place. Freshly fried, dripping with fat ot or oil, with garlic sauce, sour creme and grated cheese, served on a piece of paper... It was amazing!
I tried it at home since once or twice, but it never was the same.
However today I was stuck for lunch ideas to serve with the soup. Then I decided I'll give this a go. And it was a success, kids loved it too!

Ingredients:
400 g flour
2 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled, mashed (or someleftover cooked potatoes)
7 g dried yeast
100 ml warm milk + extra
1 small tsp sugar
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp oil
oil or lard for frying

Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the potatoes. I used a sieve to press them through so they get very fine. Mix 100 ml milk, the yeast and sugar in a mug and leave in a warm place until the mixture gets frothy.
 Pour the yeast mixture to the flour, add the salt and the oil. Mix with a wooden spoon carefully adding more milk until it starts to come together.
 Knead with your hands until a soft dough forms. Cover and leave to rise for about an hour.
 Heat some oil or lard in a large frying pan. Take a small appleful of dough and pull with your hands into a flat patty. Don't worry if there are holes on your langos :) When the oil is hot fry on both sides until brown.
 You can serve this with some garlic sauce on top. Crush a few cloves, mix with water and salt and leave to stand for an hour or so.
 Bon appetite!
You can serve these with sour cream, grated chese, tomatoe sauce or even chopeed boiled egs on top. If you try them let me know how you like these and which topping was your favourite! ;)

No comments: