Thursday 14 February 2013

My first try with liver - a success

When I was a kid my Mum used to make a lovely liver dish with potatoes. I just simply loved it! However, after getting married and starting to cook myself I never had the courage to make something with liver. It seemed difficult to prepare and I never saw nice looking liver in the shops. Then a few weeks ago I went into a local butchers. And there it was. The nicest liver I've ever seen. Already cleaned and sliced. So I dug out that old recipe and gave it a go. The result? It disappeared in a few minutes.



So here is the secret recipe for you all:
Ingredients:
1 large omion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp oil
1 heaped tsp red paprika
1-2 peppers, sliced
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
250 gr calf liver, sliced into long strips
salt, pepper
For the potatoes:
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 kg potatoes, diced
2 tbsp olive oil or some lard
salt

Heat the olive oil in a large fying pan or saucepan. Add the onions and sautee until starts to brown. Add the potatoes and the salt, reduce the heat and cover with the lid. You can add a little water so the spuds wont burn. Simmer with the lid on until the potatoes are soft. If you can use an iron pan you can sear the potatoes, it will be most delicious!
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and sautee until they soften. Take off the heat and stir in the paprika. Add the peppers and tomatoes and put back on the heat. Cook, stirring frequently until they are almost soft, then stir in the liver. Cook for about 8 minutes, until done. Do not overcook, as the liver will be very tough then. Take off the heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the onion potatoes.
It's really yummy with some pickles like gherkins or sauerkraut :P



No comments: